Responding to Ads Online and Offline Can be Dangerous
Collectors and dealers should be cautious when responding to ads from newspapers or even online ads placed on popular websites such as Craigslist.
Several victims in the North Texas area have been robbed when responding to classified ads placed on Craigslist. Although hundreds of these transactions take place all the time and are legitimate, some can turn out to be a scam or robbery.
Tips When Buying Online or Offline
- Meet in public places.
- Never take a large amount of money.
- Never go alone if possible.
- Take a friend or business associate with you and have them stay in the car or in close proximity.
- Use your phone and keep the line open when meeting a stranger.
- Never enter a location if someone yells for you to come in.
- If available use your cell phone camera to document any suspicious circumstances.
- If you are suspicious about something being wrong leave immediately.
- Once you have left the location write down the description of the person and location including vehicles.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.